Just looked at the site of Nomssi, and it appears that the paszlib version
he's shipping is also FPC compatible. I could have a look to use that
zutil.pas unless someone tells me not to ;)
Who did import this lib initially to fpc? It seems that there are some
differences between the two versions, just wondering why.

a) We did need it for the FCL.
b) It is unmaintained, so the only way to do maintenance is to import it
  so we can do the necessary maintenance.

I did a cleanup of the code some time ago to switch from C to Pascal types
and kick the zutil unit.

Daniël

Apart from the memory functions, there were also some "new" types declared like pzByteArray. How should I handle that one? Is there an alternative available? Or could we perhaps just import back zutil.pas but without the memory functions?

Darius