I agree with Graeme. There are professional developers out here who want a decent cross platform product and who don't like the C/++/#/Java/.net/etcetcetc because of various reasons. My own reasons are that I find C(like) languages to be semantically weak and encouraging of bad programmer behaviour. I don't have time for dealing with that sort of inefficiency, so I need a more professional option in a language. Pascal(etc) provides that, and since Delphi isn't really broadly multiplatform (even though it is a terrific piece of work in it's own right), I am left in a pickle... or at least, I would be, except that FPC has provided the solution. So all these folks can have their scathing opinions of it. Indeed, this list, and all Pascal lists seem to be a place where people like to rock up an try to justify their own attractions to C(like) languages. I often wonder whom they are trying to convince, since the folks on a list like this one have probably already asked themselves those questions and moved on in favour of Pascal(like) languages.

Conversely, you don't often see Pascal people baiting list members on C language lists (not that I subscribe to too many of those - although I am familiar with C(et al) and do it use from time to time (horses for courses).

Anyway. I would like to say the all supporters of the FPC community - good stuff! Thank you thank you thank you. I have endless time and respect for you all. Keep it up! I don't have time for arguing the toss over C(like) languages and the claims of C-like superiority. I just need to get the job done and I know the right platform for it. Simple really. Industrial requirements require an industrial solution, and that's where we arrive at Pascal. Thanks again to you all for a great project!

Cheers,
    Mark.