As a pertinent aside here, I learned most of what I know about X from Niall Mansfield's book The Joy of X (Addison Wesley, 1993). Great overview, lots of good technical figures. Not an implementation guide, by any means, but it made the X system quite clear to me, even though I don't use it much. It's 15 years old now, but the basics of X haven't changed, and copies can still be found on the used book sites online, cheap. (~$3 US plus shipping.)

--73--

--JD--

Michael Schnell wrote:

To me it sounds more like an X like protocol with an X server as plugin.

(but then on MSEGUI instead of X widget scale)
I understand that when using X you need a widget set at the X-Client site and the X layer transports informations about the primitives the widget set translates the application's GUIcontrol-definitions in, while MSE transports the (supposedly somewhat limited) GUIcontrol-definitions to the viewer's site and the "widget set" (or whatever) is handled there (maybe the browser-defined "Web-Controls" are used as a widget set).

Might be an interesting concept for the "additional GUI" we need here.

-Michael