On Friday 29 February 2008 09.02:02 Daniël Mantione wrote:
Op Fri, 29 Feb 2008, schreef Martin Schreiber:
Hi,
Is there a way in current FPC to have unicode or wide resourcestrings?
Thanks,

Resourcestrings are ansistrings, so the answer is no. This is indeed a
shortcoming in a widestring environment, the only solution is probably
to encode them UTF-8.

This works with utf-8 system encoding only -> not in an usual Windows
installation.

There is utf8decode/utf8encode.

The big advantage of resourcestrings is that they can be used like normal
string constants in the source. If I need to call utf8encode for every used
stringconstant I can use the MSEgui widestring stockcaption facility instead.

Are there plans to implement unicode resourcestrings?

No, but this is just because you are the first one to ask. Could you make
a proposal? Then we'll see how this can be implemented.

Ideally from my point of view would be if the resourcestrings are stored in
utf-8 if the unit is compiled with -Fcutf8 and decoded by utf8decode for
widestring assignment on runtime independent of the system encoding.

This has been discussed before. Automatic conversion to/from ansistrings will always be to/from system encoding. If you want another encoding than the system encoding you will have to do a manual conversion.

For the compiler, a resourcestring has the same type as an ansistring, so no distinction can be made between resourcestrings/ansistrings.

Daniël