Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

 Under Linux the maximum file length is 255 character. Gnome's Nautilus
 allows that length. Any larger and Nautilus or a terminal command like
 'cp' complains.

 FindFile / FindNext however seems to have a 253 character limit!  Why
 the difference when the OS can support up to 255 characters?

I believe that this is caused by lack of careful testing. Some time ago I've found a similar-looking limitation in Windows commandline handling and posted a patch (Mantis #10175). Btw, strange to hear about 255 character limit on Linux. Its headers define MAX_PATH value as 4097.

Best regards,
Sergei