Funny that you say that about the Oxygene language. To me the language
concept and marketing screams ".NET me too wannabe".
Remobj is one of the few companies that bring the cross-platform features, and thus the promising future of CIL (aka ".NET" in Microsoft speak) up to front. They, too, do use the term ".NET" instead of "CIL", because otherwise 90% of the readers would not know what they are talking about :( . But they do advertise that Oxygen can compile for multiple OSes (using Mono bindings) and multiple processors (e.g. using portable .NET bindings). If the user code is done in a way that all bindings are possible (this can be checked with the SDK), the resulting Assembly will run "everywhere". (At least this is what I understood.)

IMHO, CIL (".NET") is a really promising concept for the future of computing. I just read about an "embedded" CIL Framework, done for a deeply embedded CPU that is to be configured ("programmed") into an FPGA (IMHO this is the future of deeply embedded Computing) and this Framework does not even need an OS to run (but can take advantage of any co-existing OS, says the article).

Provided that it's a lot easier to create a compiler for CIL than creating it for multiple CPUs and OSes, IMHO, this is the way to go on the long run. (But of course native code will widely be in use for several years to come :) ).

-Michael