On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 09:04, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Florian Klaempfl
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

> I suppose it would be viable doing timing results for saving text
> files as well. After all, 99% of the time, text files are stored in
> UTF-8. So in D2009 you would first have to convert UTF-16 to UTF-8 and
> then save. And the opposite when reading, plus checking for the byte
> order marker.  If you used UTF-8 for the String encoding no
> conversions are required and no byte order marker checks needed.

That is true. But, on the other hand, 99% of your time, your
application will work with string in memory, and only 1% of time will
be spend on I/O. (Ok, this is for "normal" application, special cases
like databases are special cases anyway). I don't really think that
file encoding is strong argument regarding internal string
representation. When you read text file, it's inevitable that you'll
parse it in some way. And parsing is lot more slower than simple
character conversions.

I support decision of using UTF-16 over UTF-8. String processing is
far more simpler, it's actually as simple as it should be. Have you
ever done any serious processing using UTF-8? It's not nightmare, but
it's surely real pain. No such problems with UTF-16. You don't need to
thing about encodings & conversions all the time.