Btw will the LCL remain forcedly UTF-8 ? I thought the current Lazarus
unicode support was temporary and all options were still open, depending on
the outcome of FPC unicode support options?
I understand they could not do it differently (other than just providing no Unicode support at all), maybe as there is no automatic type conversion support with FPC (e.g. ANSIString<->UTF8String).

As the current version is not very satisfying I do hope for a change, but I also do understand that the Lazarus team will wait for what the next FPC version offers on that behalf.

-Michael