Graeme Geldenhuys wrote on wo, 11 mrt 2009:

Continuing with the debugging issues on how do I debug something as
simple as the global variable 'ShortDateFormat'? This just shows how
broken debugging is in FPC. With Kylix or Delphi this is a no-brainer!

See the URL below for a screenshot of the issue under Lazarus IDE.  By
the way, I tried 'ddd' which is another GUI frontend for GDB and it
gave the same problem. So once again, it's not a Lazarus issue, but a
flawed GDB and Object Pascal support.

ShortDateFormat is declared as follows:

var
   ShortDateFormat: string absolute DefaultFormatSettings.ShortDateFormat;

FPC simply does not generate any debug information for absolute variables at this time.

It may even be quite challenging to generate debug information for something like that with Stabs. For DWARF, it seems there is some code that generates debug information in some cases, but only for "var a: type absolute b;"-style expressions (although I can't even trigger that at first sight).

With DWARF3, this should also be quite doable.

Jonas