"Peter Popov" <ppopo...@gmail.com>:

> PI exists, it has a unique transcedental value, so it should clearly be
> global. Semanticaly, MyClass1.PI and MyClass2.PI are different
> identifiers, which given the nature of PI is a ridiculous concept.

The unique transcendental value of PI can not be expressed within a finite
computing machine.

So in fact, there may be more than one approximation, i.e. one for
single-precision, one for double-precision.

> That is my point: most constants are global in nature. It would be
> interested to see a class constant which is usefull where a global
> constant (within a unit) is not.

If the constant is used within the class and in descendants only, it might. I'm
a strong believer of reduced visibility.

Of course, as you state, the visibility provided by the unit might be enough.
But it also means, that a derived class may need to include that unit whereas
in case of a class constant, it wouldn't need to. Not that this is a
particularly strong argument. ;)

Vinzent.