Op Mon, 1 Feb 2010, schreef Marco van de Voort:

In our previous episode, Dani?l Mantione said:
Some commercial unices are also using utf-16 afaik, since they haven't
switched their TTY to UTF-8 yet. To be investigated.

I lean towards RTLString=utf8string; and RTLString=unicodestring on the
respective platforms, and then express the RTL in RTLString.

No, RTLString=ansistring on Linux and most Unix platforms. Unix is
encoding agnostic so if you want to use the native string type you must
simple use old fashioned ansistring.

This means crossplatform unicode support goes out of the window. I don't
like that.

It is a consequence if using the native string type. Otherwiser you can just as well use UTF-16 everywhere.

Daniël