Am 20.05.10 01:27, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
On 20/05/2010, Marco van de Voort<mar...@stack.nl>  wrote:
Yeah. Studying means neither.
Well lets see: I have written numerous technical papers/articles on
the subject, been using it in commercial software for almost 10 years
and presented technical and training workshops on the subject. I think
I have a good knowledge on the subject.

  And while Michael advocates he has thought long about it, so have I. We even
  discussed about TStringlist and the sad way it plugs into the VCL/LCL in the
  car for at leat more than an hour when we drove to Muenchen the last time.
Code evolves over time - that's a fact. Refactoring code is also a way
of life (or at least should be) for developers. The only constant in
code is change! Introducing Observer into the classes unit is simply
code evolving - fulfilling a new software requirement that did not
exist before

*EXPLICIT WARNING : "ACADEMIC VIEWPOINT"*
 (this means worthless in practice :-)) (or I have read many books,
 understood something and I am able to impress
people with wrong mathematical proofs)

Be prepared to laugh - or think about your sense of humor.

Life flows - evolution is good (at least for they who are on the winning side), reading books opens the mind (alcohol too - but little (own) childs the most). Patterns are super - but not if you are coding something performance critical. Extra stuff that makes things easier is nice - I always want my VAN to be a Truck
when I am transporting something AND to be a bicycle when searching for a
parking lot.

While coding OpenGL/Physics I would like to hang everybody polluting the base, while coding our boring business stuff multitier bloatet database applications I would like the observer. (We did databases long enough now and switched to
something more fun)

Now I contributed a whole bunch of unrelated feelings based stuff to this discussion,
trying to match the argumentative style so far. :-)

Isn't it better to to ask the right questions (at least some) before trying to swing opinions
(with brutal - but - wrong directed force) ?

1) Who decides what comes into the base ?
2) What If I am not able to respect this descision ?
3) Do I really need that red car toy on every case ? (eeh.. skip this)
4) Is there a summary of the discussion that cares about more sides of the problem ?
  a) Performance Point ?
  b) Memory Usage point ?
  c) Embedded Usage ?
  d) Crossplatform Usage ?
  e) Compatibility ?
5) When is the RIGHT TIME to do that discussion ? (I certainly doubt that it is now, 2.4.2) [To understand point 5 fully it may be good to be older than 25 years ;-)] 6) Am I speaking for my personal pleasure or am I able to consider the points mentioned under 4 ?
7) Is it good to (often) block people who want to achieve something ?
8) Is there a solution who satisfies all parties to a certain degree or are we really to dumb to find it ? 9) How to make such a change at the right time, and give more people the ability to think about it - or give them the time to not think - not test and live with the consequences ?

The result should be a summary with pro's and con's and the ability to take a proper and thought
through decision.
(Maybe a wiki page with a summary table and the ability to vote ?
- If this would be a "democratic discussion" of course (see point 1) -

Rather than "Who has the longest ?"

 (Expierience in reading, talking, teaching of course
- please forgive my english - I am not a native ;-)
 It should have read "... rather than who has the most "... ?)

Helmut