I would be interested in knowing whether it would be feasible to create DSP backends for FPC. I recently had the experience of using a TMS320C26 which probably has to be programmed in assembler due to the limits of the instruction set. But I hear newer DSPs use instruction sets geared alot more towards highlevel compilers

Michael:
Cortex A8 runs ARMv7A. All the Interlocked* functions in the ARM RTL already have implementations for >ARMv6 instructions(ldrex/strex) which is pretty much what the architecture manual wrote as example code