I know that the "in <filespec>" is part of the Delphi syntax, but what is it really good for?

AFAIK it's not allowed to "rename" units this way, and since (currently) only absolute filenames are implemented, I really wonder why FPC allows to use it everywhere?

IMO the filespec should allow for relative pathes, and also the use of FPC macros should be possible (e.g. FPCSourceDir).

When there exists interest in such an extended functionality, but nobody has the time to implement it, I'll try to implement it myself.

DoDi