Hans-Peter Diettrich schrieb:
> Marco van de Voort schrieb:
>
>> I don't think we ever going to give an up front carte blanche for a
>> massive
>> rewrite to go into trunk. That is simply not sane.
>
> ACK. I'm more concerned about work that is blacklisted for some reason.

Rewriting the compiler in C ;)

Discuss the change on fpc-devel first, if you want to improve
performance, generate numbers for at least:
make cycle
and
lazarus building.

>> A subsmission will always be judged on performance and maintainability
>> before being admitted.
>>
>> If this bothers you, try to find smart ways to phase the changes, and
>> limit
>> yourself to a few things at a time, and don't try to speedoptimize
>> I/O, change
>> parser, allow multiple frontends etc, all at the same time.
>
> Just this is hard to obey, when I see so many details that could be
> improved.
>
> Will it do harm when I create more than one branch, e.g. one for general
> optimizations?

No, but try to finish one thing and then start the next one. With
increased time, patches might not apply automatically anymore.

> Can other people contribute to such an branch as well?

Yes, just tell me to which branch and what login (I'll try to be faster
this time ;)).