On 15 July 2010 17:31, Tomas Hajny wrote:
> requested to output no messages at all? Even if this (probably extremely
> rare!) case happens, the difference must be completely negligible unless
> you perform very many compilations of simple and short source files

Our one project alone has over 250 units/forms with complex unit
dependencies. This excludes 2 large external frameworks (also
implemented in Object Pascal) that we pull in as well during
compilation - we depend on them for certain functionality. I also tend
to always build _all_ units, because I have been bitten enough times
with source code changes which didn't trigger unit recompiles for some
reason, and then waist my time debugging something that doesn't
actually need debugging.

So yes, anything to improve compiler speed is always welcomed by me. I
miss the speed of Kylix or Delphi. And before somebody jumps on me,
yes I know FPC has a different design because it supports multiple
platforms and architectures - maintainability is more important to the
core team that speed.

  - Graeme -