Henry Vermaak wrote:
On 15/11/10 13:13, Paul Breneman wrote:
Michael Schnell wrote:
On 11/14/2010 03:09 AM, Paul Breneman wrote:
This web page has i386 Win32 and ARM WinCE cross-compiler zips that
include everything needed (no install necessary) to test FPC 2.4.2
with the fpGUI 0.7 release (Aug 2010):
http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm

The i386 Linux version is almost ready. Email me if you want to test
a private copy of that distro.

Great !

I's like to take a look at the ARM-Linux cross tool chain !

Note that I wrote that i386 Linux is almost ready. ARM Linux isn't
coming soon unless there is an official release for that platform, and
that hasn't happened since the 2.2.2 release.

Special request: remote debugging vie Ethernet would be very desirable.

Indeed!

This only concerns the toolchain. All you need is gdbserver for your target machine and an arm-linux-gdb on your host machine.

Thanks Henry for that info.

I try hard to write Pascal programs without using pointers and without allocating or deallocating memory. If the RTL is reliable (when it does those things behind the scenes) then all of *my* bugs are logical (and shouldn't crash the program) and usually a few debug or log messages will be all that is needed (and many times I don't even need those). That has worked very well for me since 1985 since the TurboPascal RTL always seemed *very* reliable. In 1995 the VCL wasn't quite as solid but still pretty good...

And since Pascal strings can contain nulls I never have to allocate buffers in my communication programs but rather I just use (safe) strings there as well.

I'd like to take the minimal distros and add a simple option to use MSEide and it supports debugging from what I understand. Then maybe extending that with remote debugging would be the next item.

I know that you and many other experts on this list already have this stuff figured out, but I've had to spend my time on a lot of other things. The minimal distros started out as my method of trying to reduce things as much as possible when I started programming on ARM Linux. I am amazed at how simple the Free Pascal "hello world" distro is, so it has been quite an education for me to go all the way down to that and then build things on top of that in various ways.

Are there other open source development tools with which I could do Windows and Linux minimal distros? If so I'm interested in adding those to the web site.

It is neat how, especially for Windows, there are basically no requirements. Well, I guess ZIP support wasn't in the OS before XP so that is one requirement. :) Right now I'm trying to figure out how to provide something for the Linux distro that works as simply as the compile.bat does on Windows.

Yesterday at work I started using the latest Win32 and WinCE minimal distros to develop a very simple fpGUI program for a nice PDA. I'll develop mostly on Win32 and test occasionally on WinCE and the actual device. It is nice to use the fruits of my *long* day Saturday. :) Most of all I'm thankful for the great Free Pascal and fpGUI tools that allow such efficient development environments!