On 01/10/2011 04:27 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:

And what do we do if e.g. Lazarus changes opinion and goes from utf8 to
utf16 on Windows? (e.g. the Delphi/unicode becomes the dominant influx).

The current way Lazarus works (UTF-8 in a String Type called "ANSIString", as well with Windows as with Linux without any auto-Conversion, introducing funny problems e.g. when just assigning a string constant to a Widestring) does not seem very appropriate.

I feel the logical move would be to use the dynamically encoded string type in the LCL API, but there might be some nasty hidden problems (e.g. with var parameters).

-Michael