On 13/01/2011 07:45, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

  >>  TCmdLineDebugger.SendCmdLn "-data-evaluate-expression
^^shortstring(^POINTER($eax)^+12)^^"
<<  TCmdLineDebugger.ReadLn "^done,value="#0<repeats 20 times>""
<<  TCmdLineDebugger.ReadLn "(gdb) "
You do realize that this is an hack? (I partly wrote it)
It could also be that the location of the exception-name has been
changed by something. This hack doesn't use any debug-information. Only
the definitions of a shortstring  and pointer.

I do, yes...

But:
- I know eax is correct, because the fall-back (using ^char instead of shortstring works:
  -data-evaluate-expression ^char(^pointer(^POINTER($eax)^+12)^+1)
- The fallback is usually needed, if shortstring is not in the symboltable at all, but then the expression gives an error. Now the expression returns data, but the wrong data...

Strange, the same fpc on windows still works perfect with half a dozen different fpc versions (6.3 to 7.2)

It is also possible that my previous fpc trunk on my fedora box was build with some debug ino, and now I forgot, and just build it... but again on windows I tested with fpc 2.4.2 and trunc, both build with several different configs...

Martin