On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Darius Blaszyk wrote:

On Mar 30, 2011, at 9:08 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Darius Blaszyk wrote:

On Mar 30, 2011, at 5:31 PM, michael.vancann...@wisa.be wrote:

- managing debug/release builds (also cross-compiling)

What is failing in the current system for this ?

I was thinking to be able to do something like :

fpmake build debug

This will add some debug options to the build process. Also it should be
possible to create a custom build profile.

And how would you do this ?

I don't want to complicate fpmake unnecessarily.

Improve the command line paring algorithm. It should check if there is something behind the build command line option. If so then it is a named build profile. In fpmake you could check the TDefaults.Profile property to determine which options to add.

I would prefer a named option, i.e.

fpmake build --profile=debug

and I think TDefaults.Profile needs to be a) A collection.
b) Loadable from some config file, I suppose ?
--profile then just selects one item in the collection.

Other than that, I think this is OK.

- cmake like system (display and store information on builds and test suites,
etc)

fppkg should handle that part of the job, not fpmake.
To make fppkg work for my own project I need to add a fppkg.cfg to my project
right?

There is no such thing as 'fppkg for a project', so I'm not sure what you mean
here.
But I am talking about using fpmake for projects other than FPC. So the cdash (not cmake as I mistakenly wrote in the mail) idea should also work for standalone projects.

In that case, I don't understand what you mean.

fpmake's intended use is to compile your FPC code. I can see the use of trying to run a testsuite, build docs and a binary zip for distribution: they are all FPC related things.

But it is not intended as a general build system (i.e. replace make or ant or
rpm or deb).