On Thu, 12 May 2011, Jonas Maebe wrote:

On 12 May 2011, at 10:21, Jonas Maebe wrote:

b) it inlines the constents of {$include xxx} statements (so the compiler-inserted debug information would no longer be correct

This is actually a general problem with preprocessed source files: the line information inserted by the compiler will almost certainly no longer correspond to the original source, but to the preprocessed source instead (unless support is added for some kind of line directives, but that's a whole other thing that just supporting calling an external program to preprocess sources).

Good reasons to avoid preprocessor support in the compiler. Anyone needing it can perfectly do this manually with makefiles and e.g. m4. Lazarus has support for it as well, so this should not stop anyone.

I prefer a smaller "mean and lean" compiler to a "bloatware and slow" compiler.

One day, we'll end up adding email support to the compiler.