Joerg Schuelke schrieb:

I see this point and it is one reason for me to think very careful
about: "Is it possible to do it without touching the scanner?"
Is the rest interesting enough to make it worth a further thinking.
If not, trash it.

The macro definition and expansion has to be changed.

Macro definition has to handle the formal parameter list, and this added code will execute only when a parameter list is present.

Macro expansion will have to deal with the actual parameter list, also only when such a macro is used. With proper separation of old and new macro handling (with/out parameters), the new code again only executes when new macros are used in the code.

DoDi