On 06/29/2011 05:29 PM, Nikolai Zhubr wrote:

. I somehow doubt that passing these system calls could let something remain unflushed in the cache, as the OS will most probably have to do some synchronization inside these calls for internal bookkeeping, but this is IMHO kind of side-effect.
Today the cache is huge and flushing it is very expensive (as it likely will need to be refilled with the same data).

Thus I don't suppose the OS will flush the cache unless absolutely necessary. On x86 the cache works on hardware addresses (not on virtual process addresses) and thus reassigning a thread to the same CPU (which with Linux is a preferred strategy) after intermediately running some other process, would in fact at best find the cache filled with much of the old data.

-Michael