I've been reading over some of the recent discussion about reference
counting problems with const string parameters. I've done some
experiments and I believe that the so-called const optimization is a
serious flaw, not just a corner case of questionable legitimacy. I have
some sample code I will show which should be quite scary. Additionally,
this is a security vulnerability. It is also a quiet bug, because it may
go undetected for a long time but randomly result in unreproducible crashes.

Consider:
* It does not affect just global variables but also object fields. While
global variables are used rarely, object fields are used constantly in OOP.
* It does not affect just strings but also interfaces and dynamic arrays.

Of course, any compiler optimization is based on certain logic. The
compiler can determine certain truths about the code at compile time and
use those truths to avoid unnecessary operations. The basic logic behind
const optimization is incorrect I believe, so I consider this a bug.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, and please offer corrections, but I believe
the logic to be as follows, and that it is incorrect, as I will explain.

I think the logic for const optimization would go something like this:

1. Definition: A reference count is the number of variables that point
to the same instance of something (strings, dynamic arrays, and interfaces).
2. By definition: The reference count will decrease whenever a variable
stops pointing to that instance. This can occur if: (a) the variable
goes out of scope, (b) the variable is reassigned to a different
instance, or (c) the content of the variable is modified, thus
triggering copy-on-write and creating a new instance, effectively
triggering (b).
3. Definition (of const): Within the procedure a const parameter cannot
be reassigned, it cannot be modified, and (of course) it does not go out
of scope while the procedure is running.
4. Deduction from 2 and 3: During the time the procedure is running, the
reference count will always be greater than or equal to the reference
count when the procedure first began running.
5. Assertion (background knowledge): The reference count of the instance
was greater than zero before it was passed to the procedure.
6. Deduction from 4 and 5: The reference count cannot become less than
or equal to zero while the procedure is running.
7. Assertion (background knowledge): An instance's memory is deallocated
only when its reference count is decremented to zero.
8. Deduction from 6 and 7: The instance cannot be freed while the
procedure which received it as a const parameter is running.
9. Implication from 8: There is no need to increment and decrement the
reference count upon entering and leaving the procedure.

I may have glossed over a couple details but I think this is
sufficiently clear.

The logic is incorrect. The problem appears to be in step 4. The logic
sort of conflates the notions of "instance" and "variable". While it is
true that the variable, which is a const parameter, cannot be
reassigned, it is NOT true that the instance itself cannot be modified.
In fact other variables that refer to the instance can be changed, and
the refcount can decrease.

We already know this; the reason I went through all the logic is because
I want to emphasize that the "optimization" of not updating the refcount
for const parameters is fundamentally wrong. It is not just a corner
case or a slight oversight in the language design; it is a full-fledged
bug. Going back to what I said earlier, we all recognize a compiler
optimization is based on determining certain truths about the code at
compile time. Well, the truth behind const optimization isn't true.

The question, then, is: how serious is it? A few things to consider:
* It affects all OOP, even if you're not using any global variables.
* It affects interfaces and dynamic arrays as well.
* It is a SECURITY vulnerability. This bug makes it possible to write to
memory that has been deallocated and possibly reallocated to a different
use. This is a serious security flaw.
* It is difficult, if not impossible, to detect. There are often enough
other references to an instance that the refcount will not actually get
down to zero. So the problem does not show up most of the time. But
whether or not there are other references can depend on the logic of the
program, user input, etc., and is essentially unpredictable.
* When it happens, it will be almost impossible to diagnose. Careful
examination of the code will reveal nothing. Since the bug can be
triggered rarely and essentially at random, careful testing and
step-by-step debug tracing may still reveal nothing.
* Even when the memory is deallocated prematurely, it won't necessarily
crash. Actually, the program will often continue running with the
deallocated memory and appear to be working fine until that memory is
allocated for something else. Thus when the program finally does crash,
the original cause of the crash may have happened long ago and have no
direct connection to the place where the fault finally occurred.
* While examples demonstrating the behavior tend to be simple, and so it
may seem that the problem should have been obvious to the programmer, in
real use the problem can be nested deep in the interactions of many
layers of code.

It is impossible for a programmer to confidently write a correct program
in Free Pascal and believe it will work.

I have prepared some sample code to demonstrate how easily this can
happen without anyone noticing and how subtle it can be. Please give it
a try:

http://vobarian.com/downloads/RefCountCrashDemo.zip

Be sure to read the _README.txt file for instructions on how to do the demo.

I also have sample code of crashing with global variables, interfaces,
and dynamic arrays. If anyone would like to see it just let me know and
I'll upload it.

The next question is: what can be done? Several schemes have been
proposed to test for the error. However, it seems likely that some of
these may impose more overhead than simply eliminating the original
"optimization". The safest and cleanest thing to do is to remove the
incorrect const optimization. However then we have to worry about
performance. The performance impact depends entirely on the application.
I have done several string manipulation performance benchmarks, which I
can also share if anyone is interested. The brief results are (in
arbitrary time units; lower is better):

Palindrome Testing:
166 no const
170 with const
const is 2.3% slower

Word Wrapping:
1318 no const
1297 with const
const is 1.6% faster

XML Processing (counting nodes & loading into TMemDataset, using
customized XML libraries):
668 no const
575 with const
const is 13.9% faster

All three benchmark programs are almost entirely string manipulation.
The results are somewhat inconclusive. These were brief tests, so more
rigorous and well-thought-out testing would be needed to give an
accurate impression. The palindrome test was consistently faster (I ran
each test many times) without const, but only by a tiny bit. I can't
figure out why. I probably overlooked something in the code. The XML
processing takes a serious hit, but as with the palindrome testing, it
was a quick test so I may have overlooked some cause of inefficiency. Of
course XML is disgustingly inefficient anyway, but that's beside the
point :)

One thing that a performance test must also take into account is whether
there are other variables that cause a try-finally to be set up. Since
the overhead appears to mostly be in the try-finally, for procedures
where there would have to be one anyway, the use of const probably
doesn't make much difference.

My knowledge of FPC internals is almost none, so I can't really offer a
good suggestion. My best proposal would be to eliminate the
"optimization" and come up with a much lighter form of exception
handling to make up for the speed. I am skeptical of any attempt to keep
the optimization but check for errors because I think there is a good
chance that there will be some oversights, some cases nobody thought of,
not to mention the fact that it increases complexity.

- Chad