Am 18.11.2011 11:11, schrieb Michael Schnell:
In theory the AnsiString type (which is now the code page aware string
type) should be capable of holding UTF-8 and UTF-16 data,
Why should a type that is capable of holding multiple different UTF
encodings be called "ANSIString". IMHO this is very contra-intuitive. I
think FPC should establish a better name (such as "GeneralString" or
similar). This would not harm Delphi compatibility as there could be a
type alias for this.

This could indeed have been named better. But there are other examples like this: I still can't remember which of SmallInt and Short is the 1 Byte and the 2 Byte variant. Some type names like "Signed8" and "Unsigned16" would simplyfy this... but I won't go more into that direction now ^^