On Wed, 25 Apr 2012, Marco van de Voort wrote:

In our previous episode, Ludo Brands said:
that is increasingly happening, with the first D7 supports
disappearing)

The underlying problem is that the Delphi Tbookmark definition migrated from
the simple record tag to something that holds (or can hold) the state of the
record.

A reason the more to not rely on implementation details, but treat it as an
opague type as much as possible.

But note that changing it to tbytes IMHO doesn't mean you can
skip freebookmark, if you do that you cut corners, and
program for a specific tdataset

OK. I understand your point. But now that the dataset implementers, who
follow 2.7.1 as you indicated, have added freebookmark to their code, can we
move on the next phase: tbytes?

No need to linger on TBookmark=pointer.

Well, are you sure that the whole FPC+Lazarus codebases properly use
freebookmark everywhere?

Definitely not. I've never used it in my life. It was the whole point of
having TBookmarkStr: not needing to call freebookmark. And we use bookmark a
lot in our server app.

IMHO FreeBookmark is a relic of the Delphi 1&2 days. The switch to a managed TBytes only reinforces this hypothesis.