microc...@zoho.com wrote:

I am near certain IBM doesn't make any MIPS hardware at all and never has
in their history. In the past they've made all sorts of odd things but at
the moment all they make is Intel and POWER servers, as far as servers go.
MIPS in IBM-speak is "millions of instructions per second" which is how
they describe mainframe performance since they don't publish clock speeds.

That's my understanding as well.

If I can install an hypervisor, I could create one virtual machine to let
the FPC team test the MIPS version on this machine, it can be online 24/7.

Virtualization is thin to none on anything but Intel hardware. But there is
QEMU and it provides support for various architectures including MIPS.

Agreed. However larger SPARC systems can, I believe, be divided into multiple domains, and larger IBM PPC systems can be partitioned into LPARs. I don't have practical experience of either of these technologies, but if Leonardo's been told "there's a system on its way to you and we expect you to use its virtualisation facilities" and if it's non-x86 then that's the sort of thing he's likely to have to contend with.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk