On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Marcos Douglas wrote:

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM,  <michael.vancann...@wisa.be> wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Marcos Douglas wrote:

Yes, it's always possible. In practice, I haven't seen this happen a
single
time in the 10+ years that the compiler has had this feature. That
doesn't
mean that it's impossible, but it's another factor in the "good to have"
versus "causes more harm than good" equation.

Well, happened on the own compiler.  ;-)
IMHO, these collisions happen a lot and because of this many
programmers use prefixes in local variables, see:
lNet, fpGUI, tiOPF2, Indy, and even Delphi (DateUtils unit eg.).

Exactly.

The compiler helps you by forcing you to use a prefix in objfpc mode in case
you forgot.

The collisions exist because the compiler give us an error. If the compiler respect the scope, the collisions would not exist.

I know there is no collision in the strict sense of the word. There is just the very real possibility of making human mistakes.

However we can use "poor names" -- very difficult to happen a
collision -- to represent a variable like A, J, D... but I do not
think this is a good practice and you?

I do think this is good practice. I will seldom use variable names of more than 2 characters.