On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Marco van de Voort wrote:

In our previous episode, michael.vancann...@wisa.be said:
At some point, there must be an object, and at some point, there is a
typecast,

You often can't reroot external components, but if they support tcomponent

What does "reroot external components" mean ?

(Change the root of their inheritance tree. e.g. something that doesn't
inherit from interfacedobject to inherit from it)

(and thus Tinterfacedobject), you can add an interface in a child class.

The interfaces are CORBA, so there is no need for TInterfacedObject.

Ok. I assumed they also had to be COM compatible because of tiopf.

That the interface is CORBA was a conscious decision so reference counting
and all the overhead associated with it was avoided. As far as I know, this
rules out COM provided interfaces (if this is what you refer to by external
components). That is a tradeoff I find acceptable.

For me personally that is unacceptable. But that is not with just an FPC hat
on.

The probability of using COM with the observer interface is IMHO almost zero.
That's simply not the main intended use case, in casu: GUI elements observing
business objects: both will normally be in-process.

Given the benefit of no reference counting and all that implies
(TInterfacedObject etc), it was obvious that CORBA interfaces were the way to go.