On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:02:34 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:50:17 +0100
Martin Schreiber <mse00...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday 04 March 2013 07:08:25 Martin Schreiber wrote:

Both Delphi 7 and Kylix 3 compiled MSEide feel more snappy than their FPC
counterpart which is especially surprising for Delphi because Delphi
widestrings are not reference counted.

Some more tests, starting MSEide, loading and highlighting the 277441 lines
MacOSAll.pas from FPC 2.4.0:

FPC 2.6.2 Windows 3.2..3.5s
Delphi 7 Windows       4.0s
FPC 2.6.2 Linux        5.0s
Kylix 3 Linux          4.0s.

It seems there is actually a benefit of the reference counted Free Pascal
UnicodeStrings on Windows.

Any idea, why FPC Linux is slower than FPC Windows?
are involved.

Codepage conversions, most likely: Martin uses UTF-16 everywhere.
On Windows, FPC uses the native support for UTF-16.
Not exactly sure what happens on Linux.

MacOSAll.pas is 8-bit. On both systems MSEIDE has to convert it to
UCS-2 (afair not UTF-16).
Do you mean MSEIDE uses the Widestring manager functions to compare
tokens?

No idea. I am simply proposing possible causes while waiting for my testsuites to finish :-)

The only way to actually know is to measure all various factors:
Evidence-based acting...