On 05/22/2013 10:31 PM, Michel Catudal wrote:
Without the PE you need to program a word at a time. There is no way that you can compete in speed with Microchip's PICKit or ICD without this.
... unless you recreate what the PICKit (rather the ICD3) does with a homebrew device (e.g. using PICKit hardware) and "driver" that communicates with the PC in a way you define (receiving blocks of data to be programmed) and handles the chip's interface appropriately.

Since Microchip will not release information on their proprietary debugging we need to use debugger that support MIPS debug mode.

Does this not help ?

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51242a.pdf

Another way (without creating hardware) would be to find out how MPLABX interfaces PICKit or ICD3. I am convinced that they do use gdb in some way, but I did not easily find out more on this.

-Michael