On 30.10.2014 04:16, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
Sven Barth schrieb:
On 28.10.2014 10:19, Michael Schnell wrote:
On 10/27/2014 07:59 PM, Sven Barth wrote:

- in code that does not use ARC ("modeswitch arc off" - the default;
or maybe better a local directive) all instance variables are
considered "weak"

While I do have a vision what "weak" means here, can you give an exact
description ?

- no change in reference count when assigning a refcounted object
variable to it

- no change in reference count when assigning it to a refcounted
object variable
I suspect that this can cause premature destruction of the object, when
either
- another value is assigned to the refcounted object variable
- all other (counted) references to the object disappear

But I don't have a solution for these problems, as long as the compiler
inlines the refcounting code at compile time.

Yes, weak reference fall into the category of "from great power comes great responsibility".