On Wed, 5 Nov 2014, Chris Dryburgh wrote:

of a database server which implements connection pools etc.

Another issue is that once a connection has been established to a named server, there's a single point of failure if it tries to reopen it but finds that the nameserver is unavailable. A facility to temporarily cache the IP address, or possibly an application-supplied list of pool names/addresses, would be useful.

I like Michael's approach. If I understand it correctly after opening a query it could be immediately committed and keep the dataset. Currently I use CommitRetaining after opening a query to free up any server locks that may have been created. Using PostgreSQL these would change to Commit which would close the transaction and return the connection to the connection pool. I don't know what would happen for other database engines.

Pretty much the same.
I'll see about getting this code in trunk.