On Mon, 23 May 2016, Jonas Maebe wrote:

Michael Van Canneyt wrote on Mon, 23 May 2016:

The typecase will not help you, since the result is an ansistring.
The result will still be crippled.

It would help when DefaultSystemCodePage is changed to UTF-8, as Lazarus does.

Should that not be multibytecodepage or so ?

The only solution for this is a unicode RTL.

That is incorrect, since as he wrote the unicodestring version of GetEnvironmentVariable() already exists in our RTL today. It's just that it's only used if you pass it a unicodestring argument, which won't be be the case in most Lazarus programs by default.

Aha. I didn't know we already had an overloaded version. I stand corrected !