Pre pre-initialization, I do it as a compile option:

Modern Pascal v2.0.0 (LINUX,CPU64,X86_64,LITTLEENDIAN,1180323)
              Copyright (c) 2000..2017 by Ozz Nixon (Modern Pascal
Solutions, LLC).
 ■ Produces Cross-Platform 32bit/64bit Encrypted Binaries.

/usr/bin/mp2 [options] sourcefile [modifiers]
  -2  286 instructions                    -3  386 instructions
  -6  64bit instructions                  -o  objfpc compatible
  -g  compile to binary                   -t  syntax check only
  -p[0|1|2] Pack EXE                      -r<path>  Resource dirs
  -v  version display                     -q  syntax & method check
  -?  this screen                         -h  history log

modifiers: (all are on by default)
  -a-  $A- Assert Support Off             -m-  $M- Auto-Initialization Off
  -b-  $B- Boolean Short Circuit Off      -o-  $O- Overflow Checking Off
  -c-  $C- New C Operators Off            -p-  $P- Auto-Properties Off
  -d-  $D- Full Disposal Off              -r-  $R- Range Protection Off
  -f-  $F- Autoinvoke Functions Off       -s-  $S- Enums Scoped Off
  -h-  $H- Hint of unused variables Off   -x-  $X- Extended Syntax Off
  -j-  $J- Constant Address Off           -z-  $Z- Case supports CONTINUE
Off
  -l-  $L- Lazy Semicolon Off

All numeric values are 0, 0.0, Booleans 0 aka False, Strings = '' (blank),
PChar and Pointers = Nil. * Now my product is to accent FPC not replace it
in anyway. I use a separate code base, and use FPC to compile my compiler.
My binaries are like .java or .Net managed binaries. I only have just over
1,000 end-users and we try to stick 100% compatible to Turbo Pascal 7, but
support Delphi-isms and FPC-isms. It only takes a couple extra lines in asm
to $M+ in my compiler (It has saved many customers who just assumed, I said
"var a:longint" then a:=a+some_value (actually true PascalDevs never do
that, it is my migrated clients who seem to insist on a+=some_value and
then wonder why a!=some_value). So, I made MPC default to $M+.

For FPC, I would default to true Pascal, A is an address, you get whats
there unless you initialize it, and most code I see, except for loops, A is
never being assigned 0 its is always being assigned a value from
input_source. So save the few uSec and don't pre-init.

My 2 cents from the script world...
O.