I thought I'd add a point about compiling and memory. On the Raspberry Pi,
I know for a fact that building the compiler can fail after a while due to
insufficient memory. When this happens the problem with no memory doesn't
present itself as such. Rather you're left with an error indicating a
problem with the source. I've gotten around this problem by making the
compiler without a desktop environment running and re configuring the swap
size.

Might this problem be related in some way to the discussion in this thread?