Yeah, I don't find that description clear either.  One shouldn't have to be a lawyer in order to decrypt such standards!

Of course, FPC can follow its own standard, but it should be one that everyone agrees on.  While I think we shouldn't live in the shadow of Delphi or be jammed in the realm of backwards compatibility, I'm a bit wary if there are quirks or errors that might otherwise cause people to back away from FPC rather than adapt their code to conform to it.

But just from a practicality point of view, I think a run-time error is better in this instance because you may be able to justify a particular input value not being possible, and so not need to add code for it in your case block, but if such a value ends up reaching the case block anyway, then you deserve to endure a run-time error because it means you haven't covered it properly.

Speaking of books and documentation, what's out there for Free Pascal in particular?

Gareth aka. Kit

P.S. I like to think my own design specs are a lot clearer than that ISO!