On 01/10/2020 18:37, J. Gareth Moreton via fpc-devel wrote:
> On a similar topic, one person mentioned that GCC and other compilers
> sometimes 'outline' conditional branches by effectively moving the
> branch into a nested procedure in order to help with caching.by giving
> the main procedure a smaller memory footprint.

There are actually at least two things you can do related to splitting
hot and cold code (code that gets executed a lot and code that gets
execute very little). And there are also two possible approaches to
determine what is hot and what is cold code:

1a) use static properties: you use language knowledge to change the
layout of code. E.g., you can assume with high confidence that exception
code and code for failed run time checks will be executed very seldom.

1b) use dynamic properties: you first profile the code using
representative inputs, and use that information to determine hot and
cold code (or adjust your static assumptions)

Next, you can use this information in two ways:

2a) to improve code caching, "all" you need to do is separate the hot
and cold code . This is generally done by placing all cold code together
at the end of a procedure, so you don't need to perform any outlining here.

2b) to improve stack frame size (and data caching) and superfluous
initialisation of (managed) variables that are only used in cold code,
you can outline parts of the code (and the associated data).

I think that 1a + 2a would be the easiest to implement. One way would be
to use two asmlists per procedure instead of one ("hotcodelist" and
"coldcodelist", can be kept in tprocdef.implprocdefinfo), and set
current_asmdata.CurrAsmList with the former or the latter as appropriate
(probably in pass_generate_code of e.g. tcgtryexceptnode, and adapt
g_rangecheck so it accepts two asmlists instead of one: one where to add
to the check, and one where to add the "failed" code, ...).

Jonas