Jonas Maebe via fpc-devel
<fpc-devel-pd4fty7x32k2wbthl531ywd2fqjk+...@public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 23/11/2021 17:17, Sergey Organov via fpc-devel wrote:
>> Because it was not expected. I definitely can't point to any other user
>> tool that, being installed in/opt/cross/bla-bla-bla/, would read
>> configuration file from/etc/. Maybe I just didn't meet one yet.
>> However, GCC, being most close to FPC by its application, definitely
>> doesn't behave like that.
>
> I think the GCC behaviour is at least partly because of historical
> reasons. GCC is often built as part of the sysroot itself, and
> originally didn't even have custom sysroot support and instead
> hardcoded all the paths in the binary. GCC is also often built without
> support for
> all target OSes, which means you could get compiler binary name conflicts.
>
> FPC, OTOH, was designed from the start with as few differences as
> possible between native and cross-compiling. Our configuration files
> have macro support to deal with this, the compiler binaries by default
> always support all target OSes, and we have sysroot support (although
> we didn't have it from start, but initially we had hacks like the
> earlier mentioned -Xd in combination with -Fl).
>
> As an aside, on e.g. macOS the -XR parameter is used to point FPC to a
> specific macOS SDK. As these are shipped by Apple, they (obviously)
> don't contain any FPC-specific files, configuration or otherwise.

Fine, you've got your minds set already about it, and I've got my
work-around in the form of -n option to get GCC-alike behavior, so
everybody's happy!

I think you probably still need a fix for globbing of library paths
though, at least maybe issue a warning or error, provided full-featured
shell-like globbing is not feasible to implement.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov