On Tue, 30 Nov 2021, Marc Weustink via fpc-devel wrote:

Hi,

I ran into an issue with a piece of ported Delphi (6) code and RTTI. Part of the Delphi code was based on strings with a RTTI type tkLString where in FPC the type appeared to be tkAString. Fixing this was easy, but it made me wonder what the difference is between them.
From the documentation:
 Source position: rttih.inc line 22
  type TTypeKind = (
  tkLString,  Longstring property.
  tkAString,  Ansistring property.

So there is apparently a LongString type and an AnsiString type. However if you search (google) the documentation on LongString, you only find references to AnsiString.

My question: What is the difference (if any) ?

This dates from long ago...

Longstring was an idea for a shortstring/ansistring kind of string - unlimited length but no reference counting.

But it was never fully implemented.