On 10/4/2022 1:07 AM, Christo Crause wrote:

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022, 01:15 Travis Siegel via fpc-devel, <fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

    Does this process use gcc to do the compile, instead of fpc
    directly? If
    it does, I will dig into making it compatible with Parallax's line of
    propeller boards, since it now supports GCC to generate code for the
    propeller 1 and 2 boards.  Being able to program these in pascal
    would
    be wonderful.  Parallax has a series of SBC products, including the
    basic stamp, a java stamp, (no longer produced), and as mentioned,
    the
    propeller boards.  They also have several robot packages that can be
    programmed via the propeller or basic stamps, so if the esp board
    code
    does work, and it calls gcc for it's work, I'll certainly be
    interested
    in tackling making it work with the propeller boards, I think that
    could
    help some folks start using those boards.

The compiler typically generates target CPU specific assembler code, which requires an external assembler and linker to generate the executable code. I don't know much about the Parallax controllers, but it appears to be a distinct architecture (not ARM or MIPS for example) not yet supported by FPC, so would require a new compiler backend AFAIU.

Yeah, it's a custom board, but it has 8 cores, which makes multitasking real simple.  They call them cogs, and you can spin up another cog at any time.  It also uses a language called spin (their version of assembly), so I guess it could be supported, but how much work is adding a whole new architecture to FPC?  They do have a version of gcc that works for their boards, so I was hoping we could piggyback on that, but I guess that would be a GPC thing not FPC, and since gpc requires a specific version of GCC to do it's work, and it's not really supported anymore as far as I can tell, that would be a nonstarter.

Ok, well, just thought I'd check, I personally would enjoy programming in pascal for some of these SBC boards, but I can stick with the existing tools as well, they do work, it would be more convenient for me if pascal was an option, that's all.

I know a lot of compilers use gcc as their backend, and didn't know if fpc did this or not, so figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the info.