On 2023-10-11 04:15, J. Gareth Moreton via fpc-devel wrote:
Sweet, thank you.  Would you be willing to share your modified test's
source? I was worried that if CPUID wasn't present it would cause a
SIGILL.

Sure, attached, but I didn't do anything special - I modified it in a way allowing easy disabling of this detection for x86 by disabling definition of a conditional symbol added to the source and I was prepared to recompile with the functionality disabled on the old AMD DX4 if needed. However, I didn't need to do so - the AMD DX4 machine simply ignored it and chose the branch used in case of missing support for the particular CPUID function. I have no idea if this might be due to some protection in OS/2 Warp 4 (used for compiling and running the test on that machine) potentially masking that exception, or what was the reason. Apparently, it should be possible to detect CPUID availability (albeit not 100% reliably), see https://wiki.osdev.org/CPUID, but I didn't use that.

Tomas