> >> I hear the Intel C compilers and Fortran compilers and Ada compilers are
> >> better
> >> optimized for certain things since FPC/delphi are generally desinged for
> >> GUI
> >> programming. ;-)
> >
> > C/Fortran yes, Ada no; there exists no Intel Ada compiler.
>
> False. There's no speed penalty for writing in Ada vs C. They use the
> same Gnu compiler back-end, and thus the same assembler-level
> optimizations. Identical algorithms implemented in the two languages
> often produce indistinguishable performance.
> There are cases where an Ada compiler can get better performance than
> a C compiler, because the Ada compiler has more information to work
> with.

I assumed that airplanes did not use GNU and that they used some other Ada
compiler designed for performance and reliability. I assume that airplanes
require more performance over a desktop computer since airplanes are an embedded
system. I could be wrong. For example, generally people use freepascal for
desktop programming and console programming.. so generally all the fpc bug
reports and fixes are based around desktop programming and console programming..
This is what I meant about fpc being more tuned for GUI programming. Anyone who
reads into my English more is nitpicking and is taking offense to a fact which
is true ;-)

This is why I have always been interested in getting more non-GUI units out
there for FPC so that more people would use FPC for different things like server
programming, embedded programming. I assume something designed for an embedded
systems such as ada would be more geared toward performance, since more people
would be reporting compiler problems and bugs for embedded systems.. not GUI
programs. Again, anyone who nitpicks me for saying such things is obviously in
serious emotional trouble.. because it is a known fact that if your compiler is
being used more for GUI programming and more people are reporting bugs/problems
for GUI related issues, then the compiler is going to be geared more toward GUI
programming.

For example delphi is well known for compiling programs fast... but compiling
programs fast means not as many optimizations are neccessarily done since adding
optimizations can take time. Since Delphi compiler is geared for RAD, the
compiler must be fast and they care not as much about adding optimizations since
compile time slows down as you take more time to add optimizations. I could be
wrong and the time to add optimizations is almost nil compared to other things
that take lots of time like searchpaths/findfile/findppu etc.