Cephas Atheos ha scritto:
[..]

I knew that I wasn't going to convince anyone who wasn't willing to give
new technology a fair go! But we do need to at least be fair with our
evaluation of technology, not just go with what we know and love. It's not
fair to the users who may not know the difference, or who may have been
genuinely interested in better ways of communicating with everyone else
here.

[...]

I'm afraid that you're are under the false impression of talking to a newbee audience, who's never seen a forum in his life.

The sample forum you proposed is very similar to the one I did set up for a cultural association I'm member of. It uses the same tools and also the layout isn't very different. For its purpose it is quite easy to use, and the most suitable tool. I would never have dreamed to propose to this association to set up a newsgroup. But, by knowing this tool, and by knowing also other tools, such as the capabilities of modern mail clients, I fully agree with Graeme that the forum is a clumsy tool as compared to a newsgroup, as far as fpc/Lazarus developers requirements, needs and capabilities are concerned. Different purposes and different audiences need different tools.

May I remind you that being "more modern" doesn't mean "more suitable"?
Tombstones are still made of stone. Stone age technology. But the most suitable for that purpose. A plastic sheet printed with the latest digital printing technology appears much more modern, but id would fly away at the first wind blow, and it would fade away under the sun in a few months. Nobody today would dream to carve a public announcement on a stone slab, as it was customary in ancient Rome, but nonetheless there's a field where stone age technology is still the most suitable.

Please do follow Graeme suggestions, and concentrate where problems exist, and improvements would be welcome. Fpc/Lazarus Wiki search is a nightmare, because there's no decent content based indexing: if what you're searching for is not on a page title it can't be found. Fpc website usability is very poor. In those fields more modern tools, and someone willing to devote some time would help a lot.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is connected (anonymous)