Tomas Hajny wrote:
On Fri, March 8, 2013 17:04, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

Also, there as no specific person I targeted in
fpc-devel. Almost all posts lately contain about 95% quoted text! How
does a moderator fail to see this?
I really don't want to prolong this and perhaps upset more people than
necessary, but has it occurred to you that that's how mailing lists work
and that possibly your expectations are unreasonable?
 .
 .

Just to add another view (to show that it is not a fight among two clearly
delineated camps):
..

Points noted and generally agreed.

- I do not share the opinion of Mark that sending URLs should be
considered inappropriate or that senders willing to share some link with
others ought to spend time on creating different (shorter) URLs in cases
like this (and from this point of view I don't see anything wrong on
Graeme's original post).

I didn't say it was inappropriate, I said that providing a TinyURL alternative would have helped people who- for some reason or other- couldn't cut-and-paste the full one. This is particularly the case for YouTube, which typically demands a fairly recent browser/Flash combination which might not be present on somebody's primary work computer. In the current case, Google doesn't throw up a link to that video on trivial searches (and more credit to Graham for finding and sharing it as a result) but there's no way that I- for one- am going to start trying to transcribe the entire URL to the laptop next to my main system during work hours: I've got much more important things to do.

Of course, simply putting up a TinyURL without explanation is at least as bad as posting a long URL which risks attracting enforced line breaks: I don't know about anybody else, but I'm blowed if I'm going to click on every URL I'm given whatever my level of safeguards :-) The ideal- and this is a convention that I'm used to from a private conferencing system I use- is to post the original URL, the TinyURL equivalent, and a very brief description... I was going to give an example from XKCD but I see that that already uses concise URLs, possibly because the artist has a clue.

So again, to avoid any possible doubt: I am not complaining about URLs in the general case. I /am/ complaining, politely as a non-moderator, about the assumption that a URL embedded in a mailing list message is appropriate or intelligible, although it's clearly not as bad as an animated GIF in somebody's sig.

And finally- and this one's for you Graeme- I wouldn't be complaining about the URL being less than useful if I hadn't made a minimal attempt to view it, on the basis that you're not a total idiot and might be making an interesting or at least amusing point.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk