On 2017-05-24 01:26, nore...@z505.com wrote:
line much, but it serves my need very well visually committing which
files I need, which IMO is faster and more productive than running 5
different commands on files I have to manually type in or keep pressing

Git includes as standard all the GUI tools you would ever need. Plus those GUI tools are available on all platforms that Git supports. So there is no retraining in different tools for each platform. eg: Tortoise Git is only available on Windows. So if you jump to OSX or Linux or FreeBSD, you need to learn a different tool.

Anyway, the standard git GUI tools...

  * git gui:  visually make commits, do branch management, selective
    line-by-line commits, pull, push, merge etc.

  * gitk: visually see your commit history. For a specific branch, or
     all branches in the repo. You can also cherry-pick commits from
     one branch into another.

  * gitk -- <file> See the full history for a specific file only, or
    for a directory only.

  * git gui blame: visually see line-by-line who made which changes.

All these gui tools also have built-in navigation, where if you click on a SHA1 it navigates to it.

The point is that github does in fact allow you to treat a github repo
like an SVN one,

Ah, I see that now. I never knew that existed. It is definitely a Github only thing.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/