On Wed, 31 May 2017 18:04:28 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys
<mailingli...@geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

>On 2017-05-31 16:10, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> Is it not possible to put docs and info below the ~/ dir?
>> According to the INSTALL file on the subject of Git install it says:
>
>Yes, it works like most Makefile based environments - and is also
>mentioned in the INSTALL file.... You need to specify the install prefix
>directory.
>
>   $ make prefix=/home/<user>/
>
>Or whatever you want the install prefix to be.

I tried several times with a prefix entered first by doing this:
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/pi/
$ make install

and then just
$ make install --prefix=/home/pi/

Both errored out because they could not write to /usr somewhere...

So then I bit the bullet and used sudo:
$ sudo make install --prefix=/home/pi/
done && \
./check_bindir "z$bindir" "z$execdir" "$bindir/git-add"

So it seemed like it succeeded, ut why must I use sudo when the target
should be inside the pi/home dir?

Then I tested what I got:
$ which git
/home/pi/bin/git
So far so good, it seems like my git is first on path. :)

Next:
$ git --version
git version 2.1.4

Not so good because the new version should be way higher!
But look:
$ ~/bin/git --version
git version 2.13.0.311.g0339965

So specifically executing git from the user's bin dir gets the correct
version while just running it via path gets the wrong value!
How come?
Even after I did this:
$ sudo apt-get remove git-all

the response to git --version is still
2.1.4

From where does this come???
Is there another git installed on the system? I did not check this
before I installed git via apt-get.

Just for clarity:

$ $PATH
-bash:
/home/pi/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:
No such file or directory

I suspect that games are not there...

I don't understand this, which git will I execute in this situation
when I use git on the command line without the full path?

scratch, scratch, scratch....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden