> I hate to bring this up since it isn't the most important issue in our lives
> these
> days, but just for fun..
>
> Demo.exe I got a 604KB exe
> After UPX 187KB
>
> That was with the -CX and -XX options in the command line, along with
>
>  strip demo.exe
>
> Anyone get similar results?
>
> Pretty good size for a cross platform app, and I wonder if Martin has already
worked
> on tweaking the libraries for smartlinking, or whether there has been no work
> done
> there (i.e. room for optimization or is this already been optimized? )

In addition to my above comments, measuring size is actually different in this
case,
because we have to consider that the program above is a special program in that
it
does not use native windows controls AFAIK? i.e. not using ComDlg32.dll and
similar
(whereas notepad and delphi apps do, so this hides some of the exe size in the
dll
with delphi programs and it isn't a fair comparison).

So a 600kb exe may actually mean that there is 600kb of true native controls in
the
exe, whereas notepad/delphi applications store a lot of their native controls in
other dlls on the windows machine.

Martin, are components mostly custom windows API graphic screen calls?  My
tools tell
me your programs do not rely on ComDlg32.dll and ComCtl32.dll (which is obvious
considering there are no windows-ish looking dialogs and controls in the
program).
Hey I'll look into the source too, to try find out, but it's also interesting to
discuss these issues in english too :)

i.e. in a delphi hello world Exe you immediately pull in comctl32.dll whereas
in this
IDE you do NOT pull in comctl32.dll, so considerations need to be made.

One other thing I noticed is mpr.dll gets pulled in with demo.exe but in a
delphi
hello world it does not. What code in demo.exe does rely on mpr.exe, is I
wonder?

Again, none of these issues are *really* important at this point in time. I'm
really
just over-analyzing - but interesting none the less.