Tony Pelton schrieb:

>>the actual SAX support is for HTML parsing only. The XML parser can only
>>create DOM documents, without using the SAX layer.
>

> hmmm ...
>
> ok, let me make sure i understand.
>
> the code in "sax.pp" is not for general use as a sax parser but is in
> support of some other code, somewhere else, for doing html parsing ?

The SAX unit is a high level implementation of the SAX specifiation. The
SAX_HTML unit contains a HTML to SAX converter class, which will
translate HTML parsing events to SAX events.

The original XML parser (which is really old by now; I wrote it on a
lonely Sunday years ago) directly constructs DOM documents.

I've started a SAX based XML parser some time ago, but the initial
approach showed to be much slower than the old parser. As long as the
old XML parser has been used for non-Unicode documents and as long as
XML namespaces didn't care, this parse did good work for me and lots of
other people as well.
Actually I'm not really sure which way is the best to continue. Even SAX
has his advantages and disadvantages.

- Sebastian