> > First, thanks for the reply; I applied the patch, it applied without a
> > problem,
verified
> > the new StrUtils.pp source, all OK as per the patch. Recompiled
> > strutils.ppu. The
function
> > still returns a zero on error.
>
> You are aware of the fact that the .o's belong to units too?
>
> Delphi .dcu = fpc .ppu + fpc .o !

And also, in addition to Marco's comment, are you aware that you must copy the
files
to the correct folder after compiling them, i.e. not just compiling them and
leaving
them in the actual Source directories. And if you have dual compilers installed
on
your system of course, make sure you copy to the right folder and not the wrong
one.
And also, smartlinked units contain .A files in addition to .O and .PPU files